*This article contains A world of Ice and Fire history and lore and may contain spoilers for the book and show.
So far there have been fifteen Brandon’s in the Stark family lineage.
1. Bran the Builder: First King of Winter. Builder of Winterfell & The Wall.
2. Brandon Stark: Son of Bran the Builder: Designer of Hightower.
3. Brandon Stark (The Breaker): A King of Winter who defeated the Night’s King.
4. Brandon Stark (Shipwright): A King of Winter. Sailed and was lost in the sunset sea.
5. Brandon Stark (Brandon the Burner): A King of Winter. Burned all the northern ships because the loss of is father.
6. Brandon Stark (Ice Eyes): A King of Winter. Was known for defeating slavers.
7. Brandon Stark (Brandon the Bad): A King of Winter.
8. Brandon IX Stark: A King of Winter. Stopped Skagosi raids on the Bay of Seals.
9. Brandon Stark (Son of Bennard): Second Son of Bennard Stark.
10. Brandon Stark (Son of Cregan): A fifth son of Cregan Stark. Became Lord of Winterfell.
11. Brandon Stark (The Daughterless): Lord of Winterfell. Subject of a popular fable by Bael the Bard.
12. Brandon Stark (Son of William): The Brandon that brought Old Nan to Winterfell as a wet nurse when his mother died birthing him.
13. Brandon Stark (Son of Artos): A twin son of Artos the Implacable.
14. Brandon Stark: Eldest Son of Lord Rickard Stark who was burned to death by King Aerys II.
15. Brandon Stark (Bran): Second son of Lord Eddard Stark & Catelyn Tully. Direwolf owner and cripple.
Now obviously It’s not that weird to have the same name in a family through multiple generations but there is something a little peculiar about the first and fifteenth Bran Stark. Let’s take a look at a drawn image of Bran the Builder from the Game of Thrones universe.
From this picture we can assume that Bran the Builder is either extremely lazy or he does not have use of his legs. Since he is not the only Brandon Stark that could be handicapped in some way; could this be Bran Stark from the future affecting the time loop in some way? Maybe Bran could be trying to end the loop that he originally created?
Thousands and thousands of years ago, Brandon the Builder had raised Winterfell, and some said the Wall. Bran knew the story, but it had never been his favorite. Maybe one of the other Brandons had liked that story. Sometimes Nan would talk to him as if he were her Brandon, the baby she had nursed all those years ago, and sometimes she confused him with his uncle Brandon, who was killed by the Mad King before Bran was even born. She had lived so long, Mother had told him once, that all the Brandon Starks had become one person in her head.
Coincidence or Not? I doubt George will go your typical time traveling plot point so it will be interesting to see how this connects with the old gods weirwood magic. Who knows maybe he is playing around with the common theme “History repeats itself” and just by dumb luck another Stark got injured severe enough to lose his legs somehow. Between hands and feet there seems to be a limb epidemic going on in Westeros.